Brandenburg gate- just east of Tiergarten at the end of Unter den Linden , was built 1788-89 as the imperial entrance to Berlin. Its Doric columns were fashioned after the Propylaea of the Acropolis in Athens. Napoleon Bonaparte confiscated the gate's Goddess of Victory when he captured Berlin in 1806, but the crownpiece was returned to the city after emperor's defeat in 1814.
The gate was a stronghold for government troops in the 1919 Communists uprising and was badly damaged in World War II. A replica of the Goddess of Victory, a gift from the former West Berlin, now decorates the gate.