Saturday, May 2, 2009
Hohenschwangau Castle- standing on a wooded hill between two beautiful lakes-the Alpsee Lake and the Swan Lake. Hohenschwangau was originally the seat of the Lords of Schwangau in the 12th century.
Ludwig's father, Maximilan II, bought the ruins as Crown Prince in 1832 and had them rebuilt and romantically decorated by the designer and stage-painter Domenik Quaglio in the style of the middle ages.
Ludwig II spent a large part of his childhood and youth in Hohenschwangau Castle. It was here that he first came into contact with the saga of the Swan Knight Lohengrin, through the murals by Michael Neher and Lorenz Quaglio, and like his father, he came to feel a close bond to the Knights of Schwangau and their history.